Thursday, February 23, 2012

Xenopus

I have not updated this blog for over a month! My apologies. I assure you that it does not mean that I have not learned at least one lesson a day though. Let's get back on the track.

A couple of weeks ago I attended Nerd Nite in DC! A nice way for a bunch of nerds to go out on a Saturday night, have some drinks, mingle, listen to some music and some funny, and yet scientific, lectures.

One of the talks was about Xenopus, a kind of frog that I had no idea was so important to us! This frog is a premier research tool in medical sciences, and also used in pregnancy tests! Did you know that if you mix Xenopus's egg with a pregnant woman's urine, they reproduce and multiply in hundreds and thousands? And that is how the tests work?

Ponder about this piece of information as lesson of the day. If you like to learn more about contributions of Xenopus to humans and science, read more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment